Pages

1.22.2013

Garters



 



 These are just a few of my first garters I ever made. I'm hoping to get a tutorial together soon, but for now, please enjoy.




I use a lot of different materials to make garters, but, I try to keep the fabric rather delicate for the nature of the item. Most ribbons work well depending on what you will be pairing the garter with. When paring with any formal wear I stick to delicate silks or material of the like. When pairing with costumes, especially steampunk and period pieces, just about anything is acceptable for me as long as my sewing machine can handle it.

Orange with White Flower ~

The orange strip is 100& silk.
*My boyfriend used to work at an interior design store and they would discontinue different fabrics everyday. So, they would get rid of the samples hanging in there store and pretty much up for grabs.
If you have any in your area you might want to stop by and see what they have. They're free.

The white lace is from Hobby Lobby.
* Hobby Lobby 50% off their spooled ribbon very often. I check them frequently and stock up when I can.
The white flower is made from costume satin from JoAnn Fabrics
* Joann's has costume satins for $5 a yard. Also even if you don't sew much, sign up with them to receive personal sales ads through the mail. They send wonderful coupons that help me save a lot of money on all kinds of craft material and home organization.

Black and White Striped with Pink Flower ~

The black and white ribbon is from Walmart
* Some Walmarts don't have their fabric depts anymore but keep a look out because some of them still have a couple of aisles with yarn and ribbon.

The pink flower is made from costume satin
* Here is a great tutorial for making fabric flowers like this
http://www.skiptomylou.org/2011/03/03/how-to-make-satin-fabric-flowers/

Blue and White Striped with Silver Heart ~

The silver heart is something I found at a resale shop
* Goodwill is a great place to find thing but self owned resale shops are the best for quirky little things. Their suppliers tend to be the collector types and since they aren't run by a corporation they don't have as many regulations on what they want to keep in the store. Goodwill, while being a resale shop, still competes with major name stores so they tend to sell things that are similar to big chains

Cheetah and Rainbow ~
Both of these garter sets were made with things straight from Walmart and Joann Fabric. Still full of character and originality even if you don't have any neat shops to find unique things.




No comments:

Post a Comment